Monday 16 May 2011

Far Out Man

There are recreational drugs which make the banal seem profound. There are also ideologies which do the same.

For instance: The more I write, the more my biro runs out of ink - it's on a journey from 'full' to 'empty', where the quantitative lessening of the ink supply ends in a qualitative shift from 'useful' to 'useless'. Indeed, a full pen is an aid to communication, whereas an empty pen is actually an impediment, proof that an object can have opposite properties at different times.

Or: No two cups of tea are ever exactly the same temperature. Given that there are an infinite number of possible temperatures - and an infinity between each of these points and the next - it follows that every brew is unique. Although empirical proof is impossible because we don't have an infinitely graded thermometer to check.

Or: The song I heard on the radio today isn't the same as the same song I heard yesterday. The radio, DJ, transmitter, CD and ears may all be the same, but they've all changed minutely in 24 hours. So although the lyrics are identical, they mean something slightly different now - because the universe has changed, and I've changed, so my interpretation is different, so the meaning of the song to me is different, every time I hear it.

If you think these insights are deep, with great political consequences if only everyone else would realise them, you're either stoned...or a marxist.

No comments:

Post a Comment